CrazyPixels Forum

Everything about the CrazyPixels products!
 FAQ •  Search •  Register •  Login 
It is currently Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:03 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CamPermanent: Massive Amount of Cams and Stability Questions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:37 pm 

I have been testing out and working through the shareware version of this software and have some general questions:

1. How well this software will work with say 600-1000 webcams - mainly, will it be able to keep up with requesting images from those 600-1000 webcams at a 6 second request for each on a server with this as its only job and bandwidth not being an issue here as we are currently well over 30MB at any given time and are primed for 100MB?

2. Is there any way to import 600+ cameras into the system easily and setup the schedule all at once (I think I see how to.. but maybe you have an app that would be easier to use).

3. Do you know how long this software can go without crashing or eating all of the system's resources (the plan would be 24/7/365)?

All in all, I like the software alot and I believe I can make it work the way I need it to, if it can handle all those requests.

Our current setup is for the webcam to FTP the picture to a local server and this is causing the pictures to shear badly. We tried the "temporary file" solution but found that at 600+ cameras, the server just coudn't handle all of the requests (tempfile and overwrite). This lead us to find (or plan to write) a "middleman" application - just what this looks to be (WHAT A TIME SAVER!).

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

1. I guess you are speaking about netcams (network cameras) instead of webcams.
I have no idea how well CamPermanent will handle 600 cameras or more. But I guess that this will not work very well.
I have tested the products with 30-40 cameras and this works. Depending on the running functionality, the network bandwidth, the video picture resolution etc., sometimes better sometimes not well.

2. From the next update it is possible to save and load the running cameras into/from separate files. So you could add a camera to CamPermanent, setup all needed settings like scheduler etc. and save it. Then you can load this file how often you want and each time you add the saved camera with all the settings into the program. You can also save the file if there are 5 cameras already added and reload this file several times. Then you have this network camera several times running in CamPermanent. Because you are using different cameras you can now adjust the URL of every camera to access the one you want.

3. I have developed the program to run always and I know from several customers that they do this. But nobody uses more than a few cameras.

Marc Schneider

CrazyPixels Software Development